Cooking Creamy Avocado Pasta with Chicken and Broccoli for my Grandparents – My Life as a Carer
We’re sharing a simple recipe that we recently discovered and learned how to make for our grandparents which includes one of the worlds healthiest superfoods, the avocado.
By Kyle Wilson | September 2023
What makes avocados a superfood? Avocados are nutrient-dense meaning that they have a high vitamin and mineral content in relation to its weight. Here are some avocado benefits:
- Anitoxidants. According to recent studies, there is a link between diets high in antioxidants and a lower risk of developing dementia and improving cognition as we age.
- Carotenoids: they contribute to glowing skin, bright eyes, and shiny hair.
- Vitamins: Source of water-soluble vitamins B and C. Source of fat-soluble vitamins A, E, and K. Good fats that improve heart health.
- Source of protein.
- Lowers the risk of developing diabetes.
- Fights cancer cell growth.
- Full of fibre to help reduce overeating, snacking, and sugar addiction.
Discover more about eating a balanced, nutrient-rich diet with the NHS Eatwell Guide.
Let’s Gather our Ingredients
- Enough pasta for two people
- 2x Chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- Enough Broccoli for two people (swap for your favourite veg)
- 1x bell pepper (optional)
- Handful of walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
For the creamy avocado sauce:
- 1x ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- The juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp of thyme
Total cooking time is around 30 minutes.
We sometimes like to cook this meal ahead of time and store it in the fridge for an even quicker meal on those busy week days.
- Bring a pot of pasta to the boil, add salt
- Prepare the avocado, then add to a food processor along with all the ingredients for the avocado sauce and process until smooth and creamy
- Next, prepare your chicken and veggies
- Add the chicken to the pan first over a medium-high heat and allow to cook for 5 minutes or until cooked through
- Add the veggies to the pan with the chicken and cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until the veggies are soft
- drain the pasta while you wait
- Add the chicken and veggies to the pasta and stir through
- add the avocado sauce to the pasta and stir through
- After plating up, sprinkle a handful of finely chopped walnuts to give an added nutritious crunch
Let’s eat and share
And that’s all there is to it. A simple, nutritious, and tasty recipe for the whole family. As carers, we found this to be a great opportunity to involve family members in the cooking process. And by throwing in some walnuts we’re getting creative in how we add more nutrition to our diet, too.
Discover further nutritious recipes by NHS Tayside
More Helpful Links & Resources
Discover these mental health & wellbeing resources on the Perth & Kinross council website, and:
- NHS Better Health
- NHS Food Scanner App
- NHS Community Cookit Recipes
- Association of UK Dieticians Recipes
- Living Life to the Full
- Breathing Space
- CARE INFORMATION SCOTLAND
- The British Psychological Society (BPS)
0116 254 9568
The BPS provides access to a list of clinical and counselling psychologists offering private therapy services.
- Carers Direct
0300 123 1053 (helpline, 9am–8pm Monday–Friday, 11am–4pm Saturday and Sunday)
www.carersdirectenquiry.serco.com/newcarersemail (contact form) Carers Direct provides advice for people who need help with their caring role and want to know what options are available to them.
- Carers Trust
0300 772 9600
Carers Trust works to improve support, services and recognition for anyone caring for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems.
- Carers UK
0808 808 7777 (helpline, 9am–6pm Monday–Friday)
Carers UK provides information and advice about caring alongside practical and emotional support for carers.
- Counselling Directory
0333 325 250 (10am–4pm Monday–Friday)
The Counselling Directory website includes a searchable database of counsellors and psychotherapists. It also has information about how talking therapies may help.
- Dementia UK
0800 888 6678 (9am–9pm Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm Saturday and Sunday)
Dementia UK provides specialist dementia support for families through its Admiral Nurse service.
0808 2000 247 (helpline, 24-hour)
www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/en/contact-us (contact form)
Refuge is a charity that supports victims of violence and abuse, including sexual violence.
CareBlair created ScotsVote UK to help the young and young at heart learn how to register to vote and participate in elections as informed voters.
Use this page on ScotsVote UK to discover and connect with your local councillors across the twelve wards that make up Perth and Kinross council.
Some research papers that have inspired us:
- Stanford Centre on Longevity (America) source: https://news.stanford.edu/2016/02/11/longevity-sightlines-project-021116/
- Alzheimers Drug Trials: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5866992/
- Dementia. Is it preventable? – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7346354/
- Read the article that reports on dietary carbohydrate, insulin resistance and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27582035/
- The Mediterranean diet, micronutrients and macronutrients, and MRI measures of cortical thickness and the affects of these in elderly people – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27461490/
Until next time, remember, sharing is caring.
Got a question, a thought, or an idea that you think might help Kyle and other carers? Share it with our community on social media or email us and we’ll do our best to get back to you.